Skip to main content

True Blood: Sexier than Twilight

With New Moon, the new movie from the crazy-popular Twilight saga, out, I was in the mood for some vampire stories. But I wasn't interested in Twilight, let alone its sequel (although I must say that Taylor Lutner looks positively delicious in that promo poster) so I turned to TV where the new HBO series, True Blood, is making raves.

True Blood is based on the Southern Vampire Mysteries series of novels by Charlaine Harris. It chronicles the life of Sookie Stackhouse, a human telepath/waitress who falls in love with local vampire, Bill Compton, and gets into all sorts of tangles with him over vampire politics, murder mysteries, supernatural happenings and religious fanaticism.

The series stars Anna Paquin as the main character, Sookie, and Stephen Moyer as Bill. Michelle Forbes, who played the lunatic Admiral Cain in Battlestar Galactica, also guest starred as a hedonistic social worker but actually a murderous maenad, Maryann Forrester.

WHY I LIKE IT

It's a vampire story that's not entirely about vampires. I've said it before. I don't like vampire franchises. The only vampire movie/novel I ever liked was Interview with a Vampire and that's because Brad Pitt was in it. I don't know. Maybe it's because I don't like dark, brooding thousand-year-old dudes who desperately need a tan. And because I like my horror movies to be all-out scream-fests, I've always been more of a zombie-type of fan.

But True Blood is different. It's more than just a story about vampires. Well, sure, it's about vampires but there's so much more in the series than the fanged ones. For one, it's a love story between Sookie and Bill. For another, it's human drama, what with Tara and her former alcoholic-turned-religious-fanatic mother. But I think my favorite thing about it is that it's also a fascinating, guess-every-turn murder mystery employing even the classic whodunnit approach.

Add to that the Southern backdrop of True Blood and the fantastic music. On that note, I think the True Blood opening sequence, played to the jazzy beat of Bad Things by Jace Everett, is genius. No wonder it won an award.

I also like that the series doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm sick and tired of tormented characters (shout out to Edward and Bella). The characters in True Blood feel real.

WHY I DON'T LIKE IT

Vampires. Oh, and Bill is short and wears a dorky haircut.

THE VERDICT

A highly watchable series, quite absorbing midway through the season, but viewers who don't like excessive profanity or gratuitous sex scenes should steer clear from it.

MORE INFO:

OFFICIAL
Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexing my drawing muscles

Why, I do think I still have them. MEDIUM: water color pencils. SIZE: 768 x 1024 A little background? This is a very old concept art I had for a comic book story I was planning to make with Frank. It's based on the Binyan myth that seeks to explain why the tides rise during full moon. It's my favorite ancient Filipino myth, so... I got the inspiration for the fish dude's bright colors from a parrot fish that I ate for dinner last night. 0.O

Moview Review: The Lady Shogun and Her Men

I've heard about this story for sometime now. The Japanese title is Ooku , which refers to the chamber in the shogun's castle where all the women of the shogun's harem are kept. However, Yoshinaga Fumi's manga, on which this movie is adapted, adds a twist: the shogun is a woman and beautiful men fill her harem. THE STORY In the year 1716 Japan, most of the men have died from a deadly disease that only affects men, resulting in their population dwindling to as much as 1/4 of the total population of women. Consequently, women fill in the traditional roles of men, performing hard labor, managing businesses and running government while men are pampered, protected and allowed only to indulge in light entertainment. In this nonexistent Japan lives Mizuno Yunoshin (Kazunari Ninomiya), a teenager from an impoverished samurai class family. He likes fencing and his childhood friend, O-Nobu (Horikita Maki), but because of his family's financial status (O-Nobu is a daugh

Movie Review: Solanin

This is a manga turned into a live-action film. I don't really trust adaptations like this. There is always something lost along the way. It could be the expressions of the characters. Manga characters are frequently entertaining because of their exaggerated expressions, something which not many Japanese actor/actress can pull out. But despite all these initial misgivings, I decided to give Solanin  a go because I loved the manga version that much and I'm kind of a fan of Miyazaki Aoi. THE STORY Meiko, played by Miyazaki Aoi ( Nana, Tada Kimi wo Aoshiteru, Eureka ) is a young office lady who, unable to bear the mundane reality of a desk job, quits and settles into a year of lazy unemployment. Her spur-of-the-moment decision creates a domino effect as her live-in boyfriend, Taneda, begins to feel that it is now up to him to bear the burden of responsibility. He sees that his part-time job as a graphic designer doesn't pay enough to support both of them and his band, c