Skip to main content

I read books!

So I've been watching a lot of TV and movies on my PC these days. I like the instant accessibility of the media but I also think my brain is turning to mush. I need text. Not only that, I need high-brow text. So, survey my reading list:


  • O Pioneers! by Willa Cather



Part of my recent horde from Book Sale. Honestly, I love that store -- especially the one at Robinson's. Less crowded, yet more choices, and I always seem to find some literary gem whenever I drop by the place. Last time, it was Ethan Frome. Now, this. One of my favorite books was The Song of the Lark by the same author. Admittedly, reading Cather is...work, but the end result is always satisfying. O Pioneers! seems to be a love story of sorts so, in a way, it's more appealing than Song, which took the realization of an artist as its subject.


  • A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin



The second book of the popular fantasy series of novels, A Song of Ice and Fire. Incidentally, the first book of the series has been turned into the award-winning HBO series, Game of Thrones. The story is really compelling but what I love most about it is the characters -- all of them. This just seems to be a beautifully crafted world.


  • Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse



Before anything else, let me just say that I am not the sort of person who would read a book more than once. In fact, most of my favorite books have only been read one time. I don't like to go back because nothing compares to that first experience of stepping into the world that a particular author has written for you. To try to recapture that moment is futile because it's never going to happen again. That is why I don't read story books twice. Herman Hesse's opus is one of the few exceptions. There is just something about Steppenwolf. I must have read the book five times already. I was just out of college when I read it the first time. Each time I pick it up, I always find something new to ponder about it. Maybe I see myself in Herman, or I don't know. It's just a book that I like to go back to every so often.


  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel



The young adult genre is pretty popular and I haven't jumped in the bandwagon yet. Here's to my first foray into the unknown seas otherwise known as YA. If it's good, I'll pick up The Hunger Games next. Incidentally, both are being made into movies, so yeah. If I want to read these, I better start now before I see the movie versions because otherwise I'll never get around to it.



That's the list for now. I should be able to inhale these during sembreak, if I'm not too busy lawyering it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexing my drawing muscles

Why, I do think I still have them. MEDIUM: water color pencils. SIZE: 768 x 1024 A little background? This is a very old concept art I had for a comic book story I was planning to make with Frank. It's based on the Binyan myth that seeks to explain why the tides rise during full moon. It's my favorite ancient Filipino myth, so... I got the inspiration for the fish dude's bright colors from a parrot fish that I ate for dinner last night. 0.O

Moview Review: The Lady Shogun and Her Men

I've heard about this story for sometime now. The Japanese title is Ooku , which refers to the chamber in the shogun's castle where all the women of the shogun's harem are kept. However, Yoshinaga Fumi's manga, on which this movie is adapted, adds a twist: the shogun is a woman and beautiful men fill her harem. THE STORY In the year 1716 Japan, most of the men have died from a deadly disease that only affects men, resulting in their population dwindling to as much as 1/4 of the total population of women. Consequently, women fill in the traditional roles of men, performing hard labor, managing businesses and running government while men are pampered, protected and allowed only to indulge in light entertainment. In this nonexistent Japan lives Mizuno Yunoshin (Kazunari Ninomiya), a teenager from an impoverished samurai class family. He likes fencing and his childhood friend, O-Nobu (Horikita Maki), but because of his family's financial status (O-Nobu is a daugh

Movie Review: Solanin

This is a manga turned into a live-action film. I don't really trust adaptations like this. There is always something lost along the way. It could be the expressions of the characters. Manga characters are frequently entertaining because of their exaggerated expressions, something which not many Japanese actor/actress can pull out. But despite all these initial misgivings, I decided to give Solanin  a go because I loved the manga version that much and I'm kind of a fan of Miyazaki Aoi. THE STORY Meiko, played by Miyazaki Aoi ( Nana, Tada Kimi wo Aoshiteru, Eureka ) is a young office lady who, unable to bear the mundane reality of a desk job, quits and settles into a year of lazy unemployment. Her spur-of-the-moment decision creates a domino effect as her live-in boyfriend, Taneda, begins to feel that it is now up to him to bear the burden of responsibility. He sees that his part-time job as a graphic designer doesn't pay enough to support both of them and his band, c