Skip to main content

Movie Review: Immortals 3D

I love my Greek mythology. Let's see, I first encountered my first Greek god in Grade 5 when I read on my English Reading textbook the story of the seasons, how Hades kidnapped Persephone, the pomegranates, Ceres' despair, and all the stuff that followed. Then movies like Clash of the Titans (the original, not the idiotic, not to mention completely unnecessary remake), The Odyssey, Jason and the Argonauts (to a point) and all that heady stuff came and my love was practically etched in stone.

So despite movies like Troy, which is awesome in its own right (because Brad Pitt in a skirt, yo) but which didn't feature any of the gods or goddesses of the ancient Hellenic culture, I'll always have a soft spot for anything remotely touching mythos. It's no small wonder then that one of my most anticipated action movies of the year would be Immortals, directed by Tarsem Singh and starring Henry Cavill (whom I first discovered in the UK series, The Tudors, playing the sexy Duke of Norfolk) as the heroic Theseus tasked by Zeus (Luke Evans in a golden armor) and the other Olympians to stop the Titans from escaping Tartarus.

Visually, the movie is stunning. It's green-screen technology after all and all in 3D. But while Henry Cavill's muscular abs are very nice indeed, they're not enough to distract you from the insipid script or the ham-fisted action on screen.

The storyline is weak and a dime-a-dozen to begin with, but when character motivations are also suspect, I found myself rolling my eyes in several key scenes. Mickey Rourke's King Hyperion is a generic villain whose wanting to destroy the world is barely explained. His costume's nice though. The scars, not so much. Why does he have scars, exactly? So he'll look more evil? And meanwhile, our heroes are baby-faced, clean shaven men (of steel).

The prominence (I use the word loosely here) of the Olympians are bright spots in an otherwise lackluster movie. I love that Athena was given not just one moment but moments to shine in this movie, as opposed to Clash of the Titans where the character barely clocked in. Sure, she got impaled for her troubles (spoiler!), but no matter.

The trailer for the movie showed a lot of gods in action, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to see this movie. I assumed, from the title Immortals and the trailer, that this would focus more on the, admittedly, unruly gods of Greece than on the humans and their heroics, but I was wrong. It's about Theseus and his rise from lowly peasant to hero. Wait, it's about a prophetic vision about the Titans released onto the world, causing havoc everywhere. Wait, it's about siblings Athena and Ares defying an edict from father Zeus about interfering with human affairs. Wait, it's about Theseus doing the nasty with the virgin oracle, Phaedra, causing her to lose her powers but in exchange giving her a son who inherited her prophetic powers. Wait, it's about how the gods refuse to save humans from their sufferings. Wait, it's about a future war between the real immortals, which means that this entire two-hour movie is just a preview of the real movie which may or may not be made.

Load of crap.

Before I go, let me just leave you with the best part of this movie:
Good luck identifying the gods. I can see why the first two would be Poseidon and Athena, but the others escape me.

THE SCORE


Story - 4
Sound - 5
Cinematography - 6
Picture -  5
Special Effects - 8
Acting - 5


Overall - 5.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexing my drawing muscles

Why, I do think I still have them. MEDIUM: water color pencils. SIZE: 768 x 1024 A little background? This is a very old concept art I had for a comic book story I was planning to make with Frank. It's based on the Binyan myth that seeks to explain why the tides rise during full moon. It's my favorite ancient Filipino myth, so... I got the inspiration for the fish dude's bright colors from a parrot fish that I ate for dinner last night. 0.O

Moview Review: The Lady Shogun and Her Men

I've heard about this story for sometime now. The Japanese title is Ooku , which refers to the chamber in the shogun's castle where all the women of the shogun's harem are kept. However, Yoshinaga Fumi's manga, on which this movie is adapted, adds a twist: the shogun is a woman and beautiful men fill her harem. THE STORY In the year 1716 Japan, most of the men have died from a deadly disease that only affects men, resulting in their population dwindling to as much as 1/4 of the total population of women. Consequently, women fill in the traditional roles of men, performing hard labor, managing businesses and running government while men are pampered, protected and allowed only to indulge in light entertainment. In this nonexistent Japan lives Mizuno Yunoshin (Kazunari Ninomiya), a teenager from an impoverished samurai class family. He likes fencing and his childhood friend, O-Nobu (Horikita Maki), but because of his family's financial status (O-Nobu is a daugh

Movie Review: Solanin

This is a manga turned into a live-action film. I don't really trust adaptations like this. There is always something lost along the way. It could be the expressions of the characters. Manga characters are frequently entertaining because of their exaggerated expressions, something which not many Japanese actor/actress can pull out. But despite all these initial misgivings, I decided to give Solanin  a go because I loved the manga version that much and I'm kind of a fan of Miyazaki Aoi. THE STORY Meiko, played by Miyazaki Aoi ( Nana, Tada Kimi wo Aoshiteru, Eureka ) is a young office lady who, unable to bear the mundane reality of a desk job, quits and settles into a year of lazy unemployment. Her spur-of-the-moment decision creates a domino effect as her live-in boyfriend, Taneda, begins to feel that it is now up to him to bear the burden of responsibility. He sees that his part-time job as a graphic designer doesn't pay enough to support both of them and his band, c