Skip to main content

SG-MY Tour Day 4 - Little India and Jewel Changi



The bus that was taking us back to SG was an hour late. We were supposed to leave KL at 8:30 a.m. but our bus arrived at a quarter past 9:00 a.m. And then, when we were almost at the Johor checkpoint, they suddenly told us that we were changing buses. The new bus then took us all the way to Tuas checkpoint. The line at immigration was very long and it took us about 40 minutes to get to the finish line. Along the way, we made a friend - a Malaysian woman who was working as a domestic helper in Singapore.


Once we were back in Singapore, we contacted our friend who told us that she was meeting us at Little India MRT. She was supposed to show us around Little India and Chinatown, but for lack of time (our flight back to Manila was at 1:00 a.m.), we skipped Chinatown and just spent the last of our SGDs in Little India.


Our friend treated us to some authentic Indian street food: dosai, garlic and cheese naan, butter chicken, teh tarik (milk tea) and badam milk (tea with almond milk, turmeric, saffron and cardamom). So good, but I got immediately full...maybe because of the carb-overload. Also, it's not a good idea to go on a food trip right before your flight. I didn't get diarrhea (SG is really clean) but I was not used to Indian spices and so I got a stomach upset and was pretty gaseous while on the 4-hour flight back to Manila.



Little India is a great place. I really enjoyed my time there. It's a great place to check out and buy "pasalubong" for your loves back home. There's a store called "5 for 10" which basically sells you 5 items for 10SGD. I bought 3 wallets and 2 magnets for 10SGD. They also sell chocolates - the usual brands you see in the Philippines, except that they sell weird-flavoured KitKats so I got the following flavours: Lemon Drizzle, Dark Mint and Orange. It was just too bad that we weren't checking in any luggage on the plane. We only had hand-carry. In the end, I had 3 bags with me: my backpack, my Longchamp sling bag and a Singapore canvas bag I bought for 1SGD, which I filled with "pasalubong."


JEWEL CHANGI

Next stop is Jewel Changi Airport. We took a GrabCar from Little India to Jewel Changi main entrance for 12SGD. We arrived just a little after the hourly light and music water show started. I was able to take a video of a portion of the show but stopped after a few minutes to just bask it in. I did the same thing for the light show under the Supertree Grove in Gardens by the Bay.

SG really likes their light and music shows.

As usual, the place is flooding with tourists. But I wasn't too bothered. We got down and got to see a closer view of the famous waterfall fountain thingy - you know the one that's gone viral on the Internet.

It's sooooo pretty.

The kids really loved it.

There's also a forest around the area. They are real trees, too. And I found myself wondering if this is the future of buildings -- incorporating nature into the design of man-made structures for that "eco" look. NICE.




After walking around a bit and spending some bit of time marvelling at the water fountain thing, we took the shuttle bus to Terminal 4 to catch our flight. Here, we said goodbye to our friend, our college classmate.

Getting inside the terminal was all electronic. We just slid our passport into a scanning machine and we were in. WOW. And the airport lounge is like a hotel. All the chairs have charging ports. WOW.

Singapore is really something else. I'd like to return soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexing my drawing muscles

Why, I do think I still have them. MEDIUM: water color pencils. SIZE: 768 x 1024 A little background? This is a very old concept art I had for a comic book story I was planning to make with Frank. It's based on the Binyan myth that seeks to explain why the tides rise during full moon. It's my favorite ancient Filipino myth, so... I got the inspiration for the fish dude's bright colors from a parrot fish that I ate for dinner last night. 0.O

Moview Review: The Lady Shogun and Her Men

I've heard about this story for sometime now. The Japanese title is Ooku , which refers to the chamber in the shogun's castle where all the women of the shogun's harem are kept. However, Yoshinaga Fumi's manga, on which this movie is adapted, adds a twist: the shogun is a woman and beautiful men fill her harem. THE STORY In the year 1716 Japan, most of the men have died from a deadly disease that only affects men, resulting in their population dwindling to as much as 1/4 of the total population of women. Consequently, women fill in the traditional roles of men, performing hard labor, managing businesses and running government while men are pampered, protected and allowed only to indulge in light entertainment. In this nonexistent Japan lives Mizuno Yunoshin (Kazunari Ninomiya), a teenager from an impoverished samurai class family. He likes fencing and his childhood friend, O-Nobu (Horikita Maki), but because of his family's financial status (O-Nobu is a daugh

Movie Review: Solanin

This is a manga turned into a live-action film. I don't really trust adaptations like this. There is always something lost along the way. It could be the expressions of the characters. Manga characters are frequently entertaining because of their exaggerated expressions, something which not many Japanese actor/actress can pull out. But despite all these initial misgivings, I decided to give Solanin  a go because I loved the manga version that much and I'm kind of a fan of Miyazaki Aoi. THE STORY Meiko, played by Miyazaki Aoi ( Nana, Tada Kimi wo Aoshiteru, Eureka ) is a young office lady who, unable to bear the mundane reality of a desk job, quits and settles into a year of lazy unemployment. Her spur-of-the-moment decision creates a domino effect as her live-in boyfriend, Taneda, begins to feel that it is now up to him to bear the burden of responsibility. He sees that his part-time job as a graphic designer doesn't pay enough to support both of them and his band, c