Skip to main content

We interrupt this program

Not to talk about Cory Aquino's passing away (bless her soul), or the recent gimmicks of politicians vying for next year's national elections, or the constant flooding in Manila (that actually worries me a little bit), or even the Bar Exam. Let's talk FANGIRL ♥ ~

I know I said that this would be my writing blog, and yeah, pretty much this is still my writing blog. But also, this is going to be my personal interest blog as well. You know, as opposed to a personal blog. Nothing important. Just random three o' clock ramblings and some fangirling, too. Speaking of which, I'm in fangirl mode right now and I feel like indulging myself.

The object of my current fascination is Takenouchi Yutaka, or more particularly the character he plays (Nodate Shinjiro) in Boss. He's soooo fine. Of course, it helps that the actor is YUMMY. I especially love Nodate's interactions with Osawa Eriko, the character played by The Queen's Classroom star, Amami Yuki. I reviewed that drama in my team blog (with vatski) at Bijou Flicks.

Anyhoo, whenever Nodate and Eriko appear on screen together, no matter how rare and how short, the scene just crackles -- not with sexual tension, mind you, because the characters are completely platonic, but with something that I can't quite put my finger on. Their dialogue is often flippant and superficial but also gives you the sense that these two go way back, like they're laughing at some private joke or something. One thing is for sure, Takenouchi and Amami have chemistry together.

(Japan, please, please, make a movie or a drama with Takenouchi Yutaka and Amami Yuki together! In exchange, I'll give you my soul. No, wait, I already sold that for a new laptop. Just anything!)

Boss finished airing in June. It's currently being subbed up to episode 10 by TimelesSub. There are only 11 episodes of one hour each, but I think there's going to be a second season or maybe even a special because the show is extremely popular in its home country. The show itself isn't something to write home about. Boss is a very generic, detective/crime drama with the usual criminal-a-week storytelling approach. It's main draw is its ensemble cast of good-looking actors/actresses. The sometimes smart script and the stylish editing (novel at first but gets old after a couple of episodes) make the show a good -- but by far not the best -- way to get rid of boredom.

Hmm, maybe after the Bar, I'll give this show a proper review. Not here. At Bijou Flicks. In the meantime, I leave you with these:


The Memorable 238th Event
Summer, Rush to Nodate-kon!
The Red-hot Encounter
LADIES FREE


Eriko x Nodate is SECKS not-canon love ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flexing my drawing muscles

Why, I do think I still have them. MEDIUM: water color pencils. SIZE: 768 x 1024 A little background? This is a very old concept art I had for a comic book story I was planning to make with Frank. It's based on the Binyan myth that seeks to explain why the tides rise during full moon. It's my favorite ancient Filipino myth, so... I got the inspiration for the fish dude's bright colors from a parrot fish that I ate for dinner last night. 0.O

Moview Review: The Lady Shogun and Her Men

I've heard about this story for sometime now. The Japanese title is Ooku , which refers to the chamber in the shogun's castle where all the women of the shogun's harem are kept. However, Yoshinaga Fumi's manga, on which this movie is adapted, adds a twist: the shogun is a woman and beautiful men fill her harem. THE STORY In the year 1716 Japan, most of the men have died from a deadly disease that only affects men, resulting in their population dwindling to as much as 1/4 of the total population of women. Consequently, women fill in the traditional roles of men, performing hard labor, managing businesses and running government while men are pampered, protected and allowed only to indulge in light entertainment. In this nonexistent Japan lives Mizuno Yunoshin (Kazunari Ninomiya), a teenager from an impoverished samurai class family. He likes fencing and his childhood friend, O-Nobu (Horikita Maki), but because of his family's financial status (O-Nobu is a daugh

Movie Review: Solanin

This is a manga turned into a live-action film. I don't really trust adaptations like this. There is always something lost along the way. It could be the expressions of the characters. Manga characters are frequently entertaining because of their exaggerated expressions, something which not many Japanese actor/actress can pull out. But despite all these initial misgivings, I decided to give Solanin  a go because I loved the manga version that much and I'm kind of a fan of Miyazaki Aoi. THE STORY Meiko, played by Miyazaki Aoi ( Nana, Tada Kimi wo Aoshiteru, Eureka ) is a young office lady who, unable to bear the mundane reality of a desk job, quits and settles into a year of lazy unemployment. Her spur-of-the-moment decision creates a domino effect as her live-in boyfriend, Taneda, begins to feel that it is now up to him to bear the burden of responsibility. He sees that his part-time job as a graphic designer doesn't pay enough to support both of them and his band, c